[messaging] new peerio architecture

Mikalai Birukou mb at 3nsoft.com
Wed Jul 12 12:15:55 PDT 2017

1) From whitepaper:
https://s3.amazonaws.com/peerio-static-assets/whitepaper.pdf

Quote:

"""

Peerio’s current security objectives do not include:

  1. Anonymizing the identities, connections, and social graphs of users.

"""

2) The "redundant" characterization of storage comes from Microsoft
Azure. Stored blobs seem to be the "kegs" from KegDB. These keg object
are usually encrypted (page 11). Yes, in 4th party, Azure cloud, not
100% encrypted, but only usually.

By the way, kegs having kegs in them, and user access to particular kegs
-- all of it reminds of concepts from file system, cause that what
folders + permissions do.

These two are highlights (in my partisan opinion :) ).

There were strong statements dropped on twitter when Nadim left peerio.
In absence of any other information, we may guess that current
architecture is what investors wanted. May be there were emotions high,
hence, a little misinterpreted in darker colors.

But really, this currect peerio architecture is just one more of those
lock-in islands, walled gardens, since they will not federate with
competitors' users. Giving up some control with introduction of
federation and openness is not what investors want.

Let's recall again, wiretapping is looking into content, while
surveillance is knowing what you do, what is your social graph. It is a
social graph part that is monetize-able, these days.

Cheers,

Mikalai