[messaging] Question regarding Whatsapp/Signal Safety Numbers

Nadim Kobeissi nadim at nadim.computer
Thu Sep 28 03:28:38 PDT 2017

While it’s true that having an input value smaller than the hash length should, in theory, totally rule out collisions, is it really the case that a 400-bit input would constitute a realistic collision danger on modern hash functions with a 256-bit output hash length (to the extent of doubling the work a user has to do to authenticate?)

I’m not an expert on hash functions, maybe someone like Jean-Philippe Aumasson should be answering this.

Nadim
Sent from my computer