[messaging] Best practices (if any) for backing up message key data server-side

Mikalai Birukou mb at 3nsoft.com
Thu Nov 30 17:16:13 PST 2017

  - It seems that ProtonMail used option (1) with two passes, one for
login into service, and one to open keys. Later they switched to one
password.

  - Zooming out, I see matrix as communication protocol. Key storage and
backup are storage questions. Keep it as an optional separate storage
protocol, even though it may come from the same server. Having separate
passwords and use of a server-based storage becomes a choice of an app
developer.

  - What happens if user's device is stolen? Ideally, a logged off
device should have as much information any server out there. Therefore,
if you make key encryption and storage scheme, let app developers to
take advantage of it for securing info on a device against mundane theft.

  - Have a flag in a message that asks other side not to store it
permanently, so that application exclude so marked messages from storage
(message key storing is a proxy for storing plain text message). This
will help opsec.

Mikalai