[messaging] RFC: Proposal for alternative primary identifiers in mobile messaging (specifically Signal)

Tony Arcieri bascule at gmail.com
Mon May 28 12:02:15 PDT 2018

Isn't the best alternative to a phone number an email address? It's
information people may already have in their Contacts so it should map well
to all of Signal's existing contact flows, and the problem of verifying
ownership of an email address is well-understood (I say this as someone
with p=reject DMARC rules)

On Mon, May 28, 2018 at 11:22 AM Trevor Jameson <trevorjameson87 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> (Just found this in my drafts folder, having intended to send a week ago.
> Oops.)
>
> I wrote a proposal for alternative identifiers (as opposed to the common
> practice of using phone numbers) that has better properties, and I would
> like to share it here for review and comment. My broad intention is to
> implement this, assuming I am able to get in contact with OWS and get an OK
> from them first.
>
> I've written it up on the signal forums here:
> https://community.signalusers.org/t/a-proposal-for-alternative-primary-identifiers
>
> Cheers!
> -T

Tony Arcieri