[messaging] countering active attacks against autocrypt messaging

Holger Krekel holger at merlinux.eu
Thu Jul 26 01:30:08 PDT 2018

Hi Michael, Bryan,

On Thu, Jul 19, 2018 at 18:05 +0100, Michael Rogers wrote:
> For what it's worth, I think this workflow is on exactly the right
> track. Keeping the information in the QR code static and
> non-confidential makes the protocol robust and flexible with regard to
> how the QR code is distributed.
>
> I like the use of short authentication strings instead of scanning a
> second QR code, and I think we may even be able to reduce the workflow
> to a single string read by Bob:
>
> * Alice displays or prints a static QR code containing the fingerprint
> of her long-term public key and her email address
> * Bob scans the QR code and sends Alice message 1, containing his full
> long-term public key, email address, and a single-use DH public key
> * Alice replies with message 2, containing her full long-term public
> key, a single-use DH public key, and a signature over Alice and Bob's
> long-term public keys, email addresses and DH public keys with her
> long-term private key
> * Bob checks Alice's long-term public key against the fingerprint from
> the QR code, verifies Alice's signature, and replies with message 3,
> containing a signature over Alice and Bob's long-term public keys, email
> addresses and DH public keys
> * Alice verifies Bob's signature

For the current incarnation of countermitm we tried to limit ourselves
to use PGP crypto-primitives. I don't immediately see the advantages
of using DH handshakes here.  If it's about freshness then there might
be other non-crypto ways to ensure that -- eg blocking the
auth/invitenumber after a first message arrives at the inviter.

Regarding freshness: last week we had a usability session which resulted
in the creation of a 18 people verified group -- it was initiated by one
person showing a group invite countermitm QR code and everybody around
(12 people or so) joining in parallel. Afterwards individuals showed a
fresh invite code in 1:1 interactions in subsequent encounters,
resulting in the eventual 18.

IOW, it's not clear that a contact/group-invite code should always ever be used once.
It's certainly clear, however, that the issue of freshness/re-use needs to be discussed
in detail in the countermitm paper, including business-card and other use cases.
i created an issue to track the use cases:
https://github.com/nextleap-project/countermitm/issues/65
Ultimately, at least with delta.chat, we are aiming to perform user-testing
and gather user feedback/needs early autumn before settling on protocol
policies/changes.

Someone at the user sessions had an idea, btw, on how to join safely a group
in a public setting / room: use a box where you put the mobile phone in
and which has an opening at the top -- anyone can now "scan" and put
their device on the opening until it "beeps".  This way the inviter code
is hidden from all cameras/observers and there is no too-bright-to-scan problem.
You could even print out the QR code so you don't need to put a phone
into the box but just a piece of paper.  I like thinking of such
practises and crypto-protocol considerations in conjunction and measuring
usefulness by actual outcomes for people.

best,
holger