[messaging] TFC - Onion routed messaging with endpoint security

dawuud dawuud at riseup.net
Thu Jan 24 12:56:31 PST 2019

Hi Markus,

It's kinda cool your thorough defense of endpoint security.
Certainly I agree with you that endpoint security is important.
But since we are on a mailing list that is obstensibly about
solving messaging problems I will focus my comments on these issues instead.

I'd like to point out that the secure messaging problem isn't really solved yet
because there is currently no deployed encrypted messaging applications that provide
traffic analysis resistance against global adversaries. This of course includes Tor
which can trivially be broken in just a few seconds using timing correlation.
And to make a more nuanced point, so called "secure messaging" applications
should be using multiple security domains; currently this is my main criticism
of Signal messenger besides requiring the use of phone numbers.

I feel totally justified on harping on this one point until we arrive
at a good solution because ex-NSA director, Michael Hayden is famously
quoted as having said: "We kill people based on meta-data".

Onion services do hide geographical location from adveraries that
are unable to break Tor. But is this really an appropriate threat model?
Do you think colluding nation state adversaries cannot break Tor?
The conclusions of the academic literature on these points are quit clear
and there is over 37 years of published academic literature on the topic
of anonymous messaging. Many of these papers describe systems that
have far stronger threat models than Tor, things like:

* decryption mix networks
* verified mix shuffles
* private information retrieval
* dining cryptographer networks
* broadcast based designs (with trial decryption)
* oblivious random access memory
* secure multi-party computation

I don't understand why you decided to use the term "traffic masking".
Isn't this "traffic padding"?

Without a proper statistical model to assist in tuning it's not clear
how much this will help. I should mention that Tor Project is very
interested in using traffic padding in future versions of Tor and
they wish to encourage academics to explore this possibility. Clearly,
it will take at least one PhD worth of research to establish safety
margins in the use of traffic padding for Tor and I suspect discrete network event
simulators will help with this.

Cheers,
David