[noise] Quick note on this list

Trevor Perrin trevp at trevp.net
Thu Feb 12 21:22:26 PST 2015

On Thu, Feb 12, 2015 at 8:12 PM, Tony Arcieri <bascule at gmail.com> wrote:

> tl;dr: I think it'd be great if Noise had something of a DTLS equivalent for
> messaging systems like: ZeroMQ, Nitro, Nanomsg, Serf, and Cap'n Proto, just
> to name a few.

Those could be good use cases.  I'd love to see in-depth analysis, if
you (or anyone) has time:
 * What are these, who's using them?
 * What are the communication patterns?
 * What crypto do they have (or want)?

I was thinking of Noise pipes as TLS-like but simpler - so I had TCP
in mind, and was thinking of a handshake followed by a pair of
unidirectional encrypted streams.

It would be great to find cases where that doesn't fit (you mention
wanting something more UDP-like) so we could think about how a
protocol could stretch to fit them.