[noise] Potential redesign?

Tony Arcieri bascule at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 22:28:04 PDT 2015

On Tue, Mar 17, 2015 at 10:15 PM, Daniel Kahn Gillmor <dkg at fifthhorseman.net
> wrote:

> If we can come up with a clear, comprehensible taxonomy of the features
> each particular recipe/combination provides to users, then users can
> consult the checklist/table, and say something like "hm, i'm looking to
> do stream-based key establishment, and i care about 'Forward Secrecy'
> and about 'Server Identity Hiding', but not 'Client Authentication', so
> i should choose HandshakeNX".

Maybe a list of Noise use cases would be helpful? Some examples:

1) The TLS use case, i.e. streams, probably running over TCP
2) The machine-to-machine asynchronous message protocol use case, maybe
TCP, UDP, or both and potentially with "introductions" to eliminate
round-trips
3) The "Axolotl" use case, i.e. humans sending messages to each other on
smartphones

I really like where this design is going as an overall framework but I
agree that some clear usage recommendations for popular use cases are
practically necessary

--
Tony Arcieri