[noise] Session identifiers

Rhys Weatherley rhys.weatherley at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 21:19:28 PDT 2016

On Tue, Apr 19, 2016 at 1:07 PM, Alex <alex at centromere.net> wrote:

> It would seem to me that authentication is already handled by the
> presence of static keys. I.e., given a compatible pattern, the
> handshake will fail if the static key I have on file for you is not the
> one I received during the handshake.

It depends.  Are the DH static keys authenticating the connection or
authenticating the user?  They may not be the same thing; e.g. a VPN-like
tunnel between hosts with user login sessions running on top of the
host-to-host connection.  The user may not even be in possession of the
tunnel's DH keys - the connection is set up by a privileged process, and
then the connection and session identifier are handed off to the user
process.

Cheers,

Rhys.