[noise] Wiki? (was: Re: Echo server and benchmarks)

Alex alex at centromere.net
Thu Apr 21 19:41:15 PDT 2016

On Thu, 21 Apr 2016 16:21:37 -0700
Trevor Perrin <trevp at trevp.net> wrote:

> What about having a developer wiki, linked from the website, where we
> can collect useful resources?  Would this work? -
>
> https://github.com/noiseprotocol/noise_wiki/wiki

That works. I just added information about the test vectors.

> The 448 DH looks 5-6x slower than 25519, whereas with equivalent
> optimization it should only be 3-4x slower.

The X448 implementation I'm using is located here[0]. I've contacted
Mike Hamburg about a faster implementation. He told me that he intends
to merge the curve25519-work to master after he cleans some things up.
Unfortunately, I am unable to figure out the layout of his source tree
and I haven't been able to reach him for further clarification.

> Hmm... I wonder if your hashing is relatively slow compared to 25519?

Could be. I am using a 3rd party library[1] for all crypto and haven't
had the time to investigate performance characteristics too deeply. As
Haskell is a lazily evaluated language, it makes reasoning about
performance tricky.

--
Alex

[0] https://sourceforge.net/p/ed448goldilocks/code/ci/x448/tree/