[noise] [ANNOUNCE] WireGuard Launched!

Trevor Perrin trevp at trevp.net
Thu Jun 30 12:12:58 PDT 2016

On Tue, Jun 28, 2016 at 10:25 AM, Brian Smith <brian at briansmith.org> wrote:

> The main question I have is whether choosing BLAKE2 + ChaCha20 +
> Poly1305 is the best choice of a "one true cipher suite."

No right or wrong answer, any combination of Noise crypto options
should be fine.

I can see people preferring ChaChaPoly to AESGCM if they weight these
factors heavily:
 - easier to implement in SW without cache/timing sidechannels
 - faster without HW acceleration
 - larger block size eliminates data volume concerns

If you've chosen ChaChaPoly, BLAKE2 becomes more attractive, since its
similarity to ChaCha20 means it benefits from similar implementation
techniques, and security analysis.