[noise] Replacing TLS with noise

alex at centromere.net alex at centromere.net
Thu Dec 29 13:52:10 PST 2016

On 2016-12-29 16:38, Rhys Weatherley wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 30, 2016 at 1:37 AM, Trevor Perrin <trevp at trevp.net>
> wrote:
>
>> The spec mentions a "length field" and a "type field" which you
>> could
>> use for some minimal framing.  Basically, before each handshake
>> message, you could include:
>> - 1-byte type (zero by default)
>> - 2-byte length
>> [...]
>
> I think it may be worth defining an extension for a full "transparent
> socket-like layer using Noise" as this "how do I do TLS?" question
> will keep coming up.

I think this is a good idea, but would you agree that it should be a
separate spec rather than an extension?

> There are lots of issues to define a practical and interoperable
> protocol:

In addition to this list, I'll note that since Noise does not tolerate
dropped messages, and it requires that messages arrive in order, we're
limited to TCP (and maybe SCTP). That's not necessarily a bad thing
though.

--
Alex