[noise] A simple and safe TLS/TCP-like protocol

Rhys Weatherley rhys.weatherley at gmail.com
Sun Feb 5 13:43:53 PST 2017

On Mon, Feb 6, 2017 at 7:34 AM, Alexey Ermishkin <scratch.net at gmail.com>
wrote:

> By n1 (first point in my list) I thought we could use not only protocol
> names but also add extra info like max packet size if needed. We have 255
> bytes, we can even use json for that :)

Negotiation of extra parameters can occur inside the handshake payloads;
e.g. the responder offers a maximum packet size in the second XX handshake
packet payload together with the responder's certificate.  The initiator
can reduce the maximum in the third XX handshake packet when it sends its
certificate.

Note: I'm not saying we should do that yet.  Only pointing out that not all
parameters need to be negotiated in the prologue.  Let's keep the prologue
simple: it selects the Noise protocol only.

Cheers,

Rhys.