[noise] A simple and safe TLS/TCP-like protocol

Trevor Perrin trevp at trevp.net
Tue Feb 7 11:04:08 PST 2017

On Tue, Feb 7, 2017 at 9:29 AM, Calder Coalson <caldercoalson at gmail.com> wrote:
>> But we could set the prologue to:
>>  - 1-byte = number of version strings (N)
>>  - N times:
>>    1-byte = length of version string
>>    <version string>
>
> Maybe use
>   - 1-byte = number of version strings (N)
>   - N times:
>     - 1 byte = length of version string i
>   - N times:
>     - <version string i>
> instead for slightly more efficient parsing?

The prologue here isn't actually transmitted or parsed, it's just
constructed based on the initial message, then hashed, to prevent
rollback attacks.

Given that, I'm not sure there's much of an efficiency difference
here?  I guess a low-memory device might want to incrementally hash
the prologue, and prepending the length before each string, like I
sketched, might make that a little easier.