[noise] Protocol Names

Trevor Perrin trevp at trevp.net
Mon May 29 17:26:21 PDT 2017

On Fri, May 26, 2017 at 7:11 PM, Alex <alex at centromere.net> wrote:

> cacophony takes a blind (uninspected/not acted upon) string as input.
> The "Noise_" part is prepended and the cipher/curve/hash are appended.
>
> What if we defined a JSON schema to encompass all possible handshake
> parameters/choices? The test vector format[0] kind-of-sort-of does
> this, and while it's specialized for testing, it seems like a good
> starting point.

Thanks for drawing attention to the test vectors format.

Looking at that, it feels like a better argument for continuing down
the road of making the Noise protocol names parseable with a precisely
defined syntax.

At that point, we could simplify the test vector format by removing
the redundant "dh", "cipher", "hash" etc parameters from the test
vectors, since the test code could just parse the name.  Make sense?