[noise] Protocol Names

Alex alex at centromere.net
Tue May 30 19:32:02 PDT 2017

On Wed, 31 May 2017 02:05:06 +0000
Trevor Perrin <trevp at trevp.net> wrote:

> >, and that such
> > rules will be normative -- i.e. if your implementation doesn't parse
> > the name and construct the pattern, you're violating the spec.
>
> I don't think we'd put API requirements into the spec.  As long as
> you're compatible on the wire, you can do whatever API you want.
>
> Wire-compatibility will require using the same names as other
> libraries, but how you handle those names in your code is up to you.

Excellent. My concern has been addressed then.

How we deal with the test vector file format is still an unresolved
challenge though. One solution would be to openly declare that the
format is incapable of representing certain valid but uncommon
patterns, such as those with multiple PSK tokens, possibly contained
within the same message sequence. This would lead to a far simpler
format at the cost of functionality. Do you think the trade-off is
worth it?

--
Alex