[noise] Explicit nonces (for lossy transports)

Trevor Perrin trevp at trevp.net
Mon Jun 12 09:52:14 PDT 2017

On Mon, Jun 12, 2017 at 12:34 PM, Jake McGinty <me at jake.su> wrote:
> Right now, the Noise spec is unusable for applications that work better
> over lossy transports (gaming or video chat) due to the fact that
> CipherState only works with an implicit nonce, so dropped and out-of-
> order packets won’t fare well.

Sure!, definitely worth exploring, e.g. it would be fun to think about
DTLS/SRTP alternatives for WebRTC.

It would be easy to link something from the Wiki if you had a draft.

I haven't looked at this part of WireGuard that much, so I'm not sure
what else might be needed (e.g., how do you deal with packet loss
during handshake?).

Of course you should talk to WireGuard about their experiences, and
see if this could align with them and be useful for them, too.