[noise] Comparing SSH and Noise

Trevor Perrin trevp at trevp.net
Wed Jun 28 20:03:38 PDT 2017

(Previous email sent prematurely, read this one instead!)

On Wed, Jun 28, 2017 at 7:47 PM, Rhys Weatherley
<rhys.weatherley at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 28, 2017 at 6:38 PM, Trevor Perrin <trevp at trevp.net> wrote:
>>
>> TLS renegotiation in HTTPS was sometimes used like this (initial
>> server-authenticated handshake, then the server triggers a
>> renegotiation for client-auth once it learns which resource the client
>> is requesting).  Though I think that's discouraged / deprecated
>> nowadays.
>

> Was there some security reason for why authenticating this way was
> discouraged?  Other than re-negotiation itself being a problem separately
> from the auth?

I think TLS renegotiation had problems discovered in 2009 and 2014,
and wasn't used much anyways.  I didn't follow that part of TLS
history closely, though.

> It was actually the client's handshake ephemeral.  Which can be tossed as
> soon as the authentication step has completed.

If using DH, the client needs to authenticate itself using *some* key
from the server, and neither the server's static nor handshake
ephemeral is ideal (for KCI reasons in former case, and
forward-secrecy in latter).

> I was hoping for something that could be done with a one-way pattern to
> avoid an extra turn-around.

I imagine post-handshake client-auth being triggered by a server
request, so having the server send a fresh ephemeral isn't a big deal.
If you're trying to optimize round-trips, I'd wonder if client-auth
could just be done in the handshake (coming back to XX).

>> There could be a Noise extension here, but it would be more worthwhile
>> if we had a customer and use case in mind.
>

> My use case is funnily enough - SSH.  Or something like it.  Doing any kind
> of secure command-and-control on embedded devices is hard because of the
> heavy overhead of both TLS and SSH.  There are two shell modes of interest:
> devices "phoning home" to a server (device as client), and remote users
> connecting to the device to perform administration (device as server).

That's cool.  I've wish SSH had a good PAKE (password authenticated
key exchange), maybe if we work that out for Noise it would useful
here (or maybe not, maybe there are better options than passwords).