[noise] NoiseSocket on Arduino + esp8266 + NGINX + Golang

Trevor Perrin trevp at trevp.net
Thu Sep 7 22:32:08 PDT 2017

On Thu, Aug 31, 2017 at 3:30 PM, Alexey Ermishkin <scratch.net at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi guys, some quick news.
>
> Yesterday we managed to run the following config:
>
> Arduino (esp8266) -> NoiseSocket -> NGINX -> NoiseSocket -> Golang web
> service
> And back:
> Golang web service -> NoiseSocket -> NGINX -> TLS -> Browser
>
> NoiseSocket was configured to use Noise_XX_25519_AESGCM_BLAKE2b
>
> It was a live Temperature sensor demo
>
> Arduino did a POST request with a simple json containing current
> temperature
> and Go web service collected latest 50 values which were shown live in a
> browser. Everything except NGINX-browser link went over NoiseSocket
>
> No embed library yet (except NGINX module and Golang library which can be
> found here: https://github.com/noisesocket/spec) but I have some numbers!
>

> NoiseSocket flash code size : 18484 bytes
>
> RAM size: 2532 bytes

Seems pretty decent, though I don't know much about low-memory
implementations.

Mike Hamburg's STROBE manages to pack all its symmetric crypto into a tiny
space (see Table 2 in below), it will be interesting to see whether
Noise+Strobe could reduce that even further (by replacing AESGCM and
BLAKE2b with Keccak).

https://eprint.iacr.org/2017/003.pdf