[noise] expected length of messages during handshake

Trevor Perrin trevp at trevp.net
Thu Nov 9 09:59:01 PST 2017

On Thu, Nov 9, 2017 at 11:04 AM, Piotr Lizończyk
<piotr.lizonczyk at gmail.com> wrote:
> I’ve recently started implementing NoiseSocket in Python noiseprotocol.
> First thought: would be nice to have at least default proposed contents for
> negotiation data. Otherwise we’ll likely end up with implementations freely
> following structure in Alexey’s go-noisesocket (or e.g. mine if I decide to
> come up with my own). Obviously, usage of this default structure won’t be
> necessary, nor explicitly suggested.

Yeah, I'm totally with you.

I've been thinking of this as a separate document (maybe "NoiseLink"?)
on top of NoiseSocket, that defines how the client can offer a list of
named protocols that the server selects from.  Perhaps defined
abstractly enough that we could instantiate it with protobufs, JSON,
or others.

I need to just start this document so we can critique it, will try soon...