[noise] Noise @ Highload++ in Moscow

Trevor Perrin trevp at trevp.net
Mon Nov 13 15:48:47 PST 2017

On Mon, Nov 13, 2017 at 9:13 AM, Alexey Ermishkin <scratch.net at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello everyone.
> I presented Noise & NoiseSocket at Highload conference in Moscow and
> received lots of good comments. People want to know more about it and see it
> in production.
> I've also talked about Google's Key Transparency and how Noise can benefit
> from it. This is something we are working on right now at Virgil.
> Also, Igor Sysoev, the author of NGINX was interested in NGINX NoiseSocket
> module we created, we will continue our dialogue with his team on better
> integration.

Nice!  Keep us posted, that all sounds promising.

> One thing that we will need to be able to use NoiseSocket is static key
> signatures. Now we transmit them as a simple JSON object (see
> https://github.com/go-noisesocket/noisesocket/tree/master/virgil ) just to
> make it work, but a more generalized spec is something we'll be working on
> in a near future.

Cool, David Wong was interested in that too.  I'd also like to specify
"offline signing keys" plus short-lived statics as an option for
0-RTT:

https://moderncrypto.org/mail-archive/noise/2017/001215.html

Hopefully these things converge.  Though this approaches PKI and
certificates, raising questions of how much we should be creating new
things here vs interfaces to existing systems.