[noise] writing a Rust sans-IO Noise protocol

jake mcginty me at jake.su
Mon May 28 12:42:54 PDT 2018

> On May 27, 2018, at 4:12 PM, dawuud <dawuud at riseup.net> wrote:
>
> I am implementing this:
> https://github.com/katzenpost/docs/blob/master/specs/wire-protocol.rst
> However I'm using "Noise_XX_25519_ChaChaPoly_BLAKE2b" instead of
> "Noise_XXhfs_25519+NewHopeSimple_ChaChaPoly_Blake2b". But I might
> later decide to use the rust serde crate for wire command
> serialization if I give up on being bitwise compatible with the golang
> Katzenpost implementation. ( work-in-progress: https://github.com/david415/modem )

Would be happy to put HFS behind a feature gate in Snow if you or anyone else is up to the task.

It looks like quininer wrote https://github.com/quininer/newhope <https://github.com/quininer/newhope>, which may at least be a good start.

> Speaking of bitwise compatibility... I noticed that the Noise protocol
> specification does not specify if the prologue is to go before or after
> the handshake message. I have noticed that the golang flynn noise library
> puts the prologue before the handshake ciphertext and the rust snow library
> puts the prologue after the handshake ciphertext.

Are you talking about the prologue as defined in the Noise, or another type of prologue here?