[curves] Threshold ECDSA for Bitcoin

Watson Ladd watsonbladd at gmail.com
Fri Mar 28 15:36:09 PDT 2014

On Fri, Mar 28, 2014 at 6:14 PM, Trevor Perrin <trevp at trevp.net> wrote:
> https://freedom-to-tinker.com/blog/stevenag/new-research-better-wallet-security-for-bitcoin/
> http://www.cs.princeton.edu/~stevenag/bitcoin_threshold_signatures.pdf
>
> Apparently based on this:
>
> http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/summary?doi=10.1.1.67.9913
>
> I'd be interested to hear how the state-of-the-art in threshold-ECDSA
> compares to threshold-Schnorr, if anyone knows.

Threshold Schnorr requires computing only a multiplication and an
addition. As a result you don't need special tricks: if you have k
people out of n who can get the key, 2k-1 can compute the shares of
the signature value and reconstruct in the usual manner. This way
avoids the inversion and degree reduction protocols entirely.

Sincerely,
Watson Ladd

> Trevor

-- Benjamin Franklin