[curves] Forward secrecy with "triple Diffie-Hellman"

William Whyte wwhyte at securityinnovation.com
Tue Apr 8 19:31:55 PDT 2014

My understanding, though I'm having trouble tracking down the reference at
the moment, is that standard ephemeral-static DH has good properties and
takes one less exponentiation:

  S = aB = bA

  S' = a'B' = b'A'

  K = KDF (S || S')

Do you have a reason to prefer the triple version?

This version is defined in X9.42 as dhHybrid1, and X9.42 contains various
security claims about the properties of this approach, but it was written
in 2003 and analysis has got more rigorous since then so there may be more
up-to-date statements about it.

Cheers

William