[curves] The SPEKE Protocol Revisited

Feng Hao feng.hao at newcastle.ac.uk
Mon Sep 29 11:47:08 PDT 2014

Hi Mike,

It is not because SPEKE is symmetric (e.g., J-PAKE is also symmetric, but not subject to this attack), but because of a lack of entity identifier that causes unknown-key sharing. If you include entity identifiers into the key confirmation, then the attack can be prevented. However, the key confirmation is optional, as stated in IEEE and ISO/IEC standards. The patch we propose in the paper is to include entity identifiers into the key computation function. So the key confirmation remains optional.

I just had a look at the latest version of Dragonfly (04). I am not too sure if the key confirmation defined in the document is mandatory; if it is, then the attack will not work.

But on the other hand, from the protocol design's point of view, it's a bit strange to see the key confirmation defined as "mandatory", as it makes the protocol less flexible for applications where round efficiency is critical (explicit key confirmation requires extra rounds). A well-designed authenticated key exchange protocol should remain secure even without explicit key confirmation (i.e., relying on implicit key confirmation only).

Cheers,
Feng