[curves] Crash Course on ECC poster

Michael Hamburg mike at shiftleft.org
Wed Jul 8 18:00:53 PDT 2015

The Montgomery ladder can take advantage of mixed differential addition, where R+Q is computed with the additional information that R-Q is equal to the base point P.  (It’s called “mixed” because R and Q are in projective form, but P is affine.)  Unlike ordinary addition, differential addition can be computed using just the x-coordinates of P, Q and R.  So can doubling.  Therefore, you can compute the whole ladder using only x coordinates.  You can recover y at the end, but usually people don’t.

This pair of operations — x-only mixed differential addition and doubling — is significantly faster and simpler on a Montgomery curve than on a short Weierstrass curve.  The same is not true of the ordinary addition and doubling formulas.  This is why Montgomery curves are used for ECDH, but not usually other operations.

You can take advantage of the same technique on a short Weierstrass curve, using for example co-z coordinates.  But it’s not as simple or fast as on a Montgomery curve.  Furthermore, while the mixed differential addition law is unified on a Montgomery curve, it is not unified on a short Weierstrass curve.  This makes it noticeably harder to start the ladder.

— Mike