[curves] Scalar blinding on elliptic curves with special structure

Michael Hamburg mike at shiftleft.org
Wed Aug 12 13:45:41 PDT 2015

Neat.  The recoding would be a little annoying, but not awful.  For ECDH it might be enough to just do both steps with the same random blinded base-48 encoding.

You can make it work with the Montgomery ladder too.  You’d use some unmixed ladder steps:

(P, Q, P+Q)
-> 2Q+P = (P+Q + Q) where (P+Q - Q) = P
-> 3Q+P = (2Q+P + Q) where (2Q+P - Q) = (P+Q)
and 3Q+2P = (2Q+P + Q+P) where (2Q+P) - (Q+P) = Q

3Q = 2Q+Q where 2Q-Q=Q.
3(Q+P) = 2(Q+P) + (Q+P) where 2(Q+P) - (Q+P) = Q+P

These last steps might not work with all ladders though… I don’t remember whether eg Jacobian co-z ladder works for steps like these.

— Mike