[curves] Million Dollar Curve

Trevor Perrin trevp at trevp.net
Wed Feb 24 16:17:30 PST 2016

On Wed, Feb 24, 2016 at 2:36 PM, Krisztián Pintér <pinterkr at gmail.com> wrote:

> Nathaniel McCallum <npmccallum at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>>     – a potential weakness because Curve25519 uses a very specific
>>       prime field.
>
> as well as every other curve on the planet. even nist curves use
> special primes.

No, Brainpool curves and million dollar curve use "randomly"-chosen primes.

Yes, this incurs a slowdown (~2x).  Some would argue it's worth it
because randomly-chosen primes might be more conservative than
special-form primes.  Others would argue that if you want to spend
extra cycles in pursuit of security, you're better off with
special-form primes but a larger curve (eg 448).

This has been debated many times, here and elsewhere.  Lots of people
(or at least me) seem happy with special-form primes.

Anyways, if this thread continues, hopefully someone can point out
interesting aspects of this new curve or make some novel arguments,
let's not repeat old debates.