[curves] curve25519-donna stack usage

Mike Hamburg mike at shiftleft.org
Wed Nov 9 12:00:09 PST 2016

Hi Jason,

By my measurements, curve25519-donna-c64 -O3 uses 840 bytes of stack on x86-64.  With -O2, it’s 1128 bytes.  But the x86 version uses much more stack, so maybe that’s your problem.

I have a tiny implementation of Curve25519.  According to -fstack-usage, it uses as few as 372 bytes of stack on x86-64 and 336 bytes on x86, depending on compilation options.

Since it’s optimized for size, it doesn’t perform as well as Donna.  The factor is 2-4 on x86-64 depending on compilation options, but only ~25% slower on x32 if I’m measuring correctly.  The code is relatively portable, detecting bit size using __SIZEOF_INT128__.  My code also has ARM asm intrinsics, so it might outperform Donna on some ARM platforms.  I haven’t benched this.

My code also supports nonstandard x-only signature production and verification at the cost of slightly higher stack usage.

This implementation is part of a package that I wrote at work, so I can’t share it with you yet.  I’m trying to get it open sourced under an MIT license, but I have to talk to legal about this.  So it’s portable but not common.  But let me know if you want it, it might help me get it through legal.

Cheers,
— Mike