[curves] How to find another generator on decaf_448?

Mike Hamburg mike at shiftleft.org
Fri Jan 20 14:42:55 PST 2017

Hi Fan,

Decaf’s cofactor is 1, so all non-identity points are generators.

For Cramer-Shoup you will need a random point, such that it’s hard to figure out its discrete log (base g).  You will need to be able to argue that the point was really generated in a way that would make it hard to embed a back door.  A straightforward way to get this property is by hashing a random seed, and then applying Elligator.  Since Cramer-Shoup is specified as using a *uniformly* random point (even though it’s probably secure with something slightly less than uniform), you should use point_from_hash_uniform.  Since Cramer-Shoup is designed to be secure in the standard model, you should include a uniformly random seed, perhaps 512 bits long.  To prevent a theoretical backdoor mentioned by Stanislav Smyshlaev, you should hash the base point as well.

Overall, the computation would then be elligator(hash(base_point, seed)).  In C++, that’s something like:

std::string seed = [a fixed 512-bit constant which you chose at random];
Point::from_hash(SHAKE<256>::Hash(std::string(Point::base()) + seed, Point::HASH_BYTES*2))

If you’re using two random generators instead of random + base point, then hashing in Point::base() above isn’t necessary, but the hash itself is still required.

You might as well check that the resulting point isn’t the identity.  You can check that orderQ * P == identity if you like, but that should be true for any output of Point::from_hash.

Cheers,
— Mike