[messaging] Partial ordering, dynamic groups and event ordering

Ximin Luo infinity0 at pwned.gg
Wed Mar 12 13:56:10 PDT 2014

On 12/03/14 20:42, Ximin Luo wrote:
> where a <= b means "the author of b has delivered[1] a"
> [1] "delivered" here means "notify the application layers", i.e. it preserves causal ordering/consistency in the application layer. the transcript engine may delay delivery of old received messages if they are determined to be later in the actual transcript

Ach, editing here made things less clear than thought on a first reading.

By "delivered", I additionally mean "received and processed, and then notified the application layer". In other words, the author of b, their transcript engine has

1. received a (which may have been written by someone else)
2. and then processed it, possibly after a delay to preserve causal ordering
3. and then delivered it to the application layer, where it has been seen and understood by the real-world agent that subsequently wrote b

GPG: 4096R/1318EFAC5FBBDBCE
git://github.com/infinity0/pubkeys.git