[messaging] Separation of concerns, usability, and partial verification

Tom Ritter tom at ritter.vg
Wed Mar 12 23:37:19 PDT 2014

I think something very important for protocols we design going forward
is persistence of key material, ala ZRTP's.  The encrypted
conversation I am having with Alice now is authenticated via the last
encrypted conversation I had with Alice.  You can trick me by MITMing
all my conversations with Alice, but as long as I get one conversation
in that you don't - we'll be able to figure it out.

My happiness with this design evolved in a good deal from discussions
with some of the folks on this list at various events.  It's the
implementation I'm a wee bit nervous about, as this system needs to be
handle things like 'restarting after a lost device' and the ratcheting
issues of what happens when we aren't in the same state because I
think you received messages from me but you didn't.

-tom