[messaging] Minimal requirements for group chat

Michael Rogers michael at briarproject.org
Thu Apr 17 04:01:01 PDT 2014

That's similar to what we do in Briar: each message has a parent
pointer, which is the hash of the message it replies to (if any), and
a timestamp, which is greater than the timestamp of any message
received by the sender before the message was sent (so it's really a
hybrid of a timestamp and a Lamport clock).

This allows messages to be displayed in a tree by using the parent
pointers, or in a flat list by using the timestamps. However, in a
flat list this scheme has the problem you mentioned: someone can
insert a new message before an existing message, changing the apparent
meaning of the existing message (the ice cream attack).

I'm not sure whether any scheme based on pointers and timestamps can
prevent the ice cream attack in a flat UI. As far as I can see, the
only way to prevent it is for the conversation to be an append-only
log. But pointers and timestamps don't achieve that...

Cheers,
Michael