[messaging] Password reset mechanisms with an SRP authentication framework

Michael Rogers michael at briarproject.org
Tue Apr 22 09:15:55 PDT 2014

Hi Dave,

I've recently been thinking about a similar problem for a P2P
messaging app I'm working on, where the messages and contact list are
stored on the user's device, encrypted with a key derived from her
password. If the user forgets the password, everything's lost.

The approach I'm considering may or may not be suitable for Inky -
it's based on some assumptions about users being able to meet face to
face, bringing with them the devices they use for messaging. But if
that sounds like it might be suitable for some of your users, here's
the idea:

* Derive a key from the user's password
* Split the key into n shares using a secret-sharing algorithm, such
that any k shares are sufficient to reconstruct the key, 2 < k < n
* Store two shares unencrypted on the user's device
* Give the other n-2 shares to trusted friends (this can be done
in-band, and the shares can be stored in the friends' own accounts)
* The friends don't have enough shares to reconstruct the key even if
they collude
* If the password is lost, the user has to collect shares from k-2 friends
* To collect a share, the user meets the friend face to face,
establishes a short-range confidential and authenticated channel, and
copies the share to her device
* The shares are collected on the user's device - the k'th share is
never written to disk, only held in memory while the key's reconstructed

I suspect few people will be willing to go to this much effort to
recover their keys, but it's the only solution I've been able to come
up with. Perhaps you could adapt it to your use case by storing the
shares in the user's other accounts (Dropbox, Google Drive, etc)?

Cheers,
Michael