[messaging] Tor Hidden Services in (Cables, SMTorP, Pond)

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Wed Jun 18 07:20:17 PDT 2014

On 06/18/2014 07:21 AM, Eleanor Saitta wrote:
> On 2014.06.18 00.31, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:
>> I was surprised by this claim as well -- my current expectation is
>> that i have *no idea* when my mail reaches the receiver's mailpile
>> (and i'm fine with that, tbh).
>
> You do expect to know when your message reaches their MTA, and if you
> don't have a good idea of how long that's going to take (measured on
> the order of ten minute increments), email becomes an entirely
> different medium vs. how it's currently used, especially in business
> settings.

but "reaches their MTA" is not the same as "reaches the user's MUA",
which is what i thought "reaches their mailpile" meant.

This means that currently, the recipient's MTA acts as a "receive
proxy".  (in most modern mail setups, the sender relays their own mail
through their own MTA, which itself acts as a "send proxy" as well, but
that's not required).

That suggests to me that current expectations indicate the need for a
"receive proxy", no?  I don't think i understand how to get to the
conclusion that a "send proxy" is warranted based on these expectations.

	--dkg