[messaging] Bounding hash 2d preimage bits (was Re:...Test Data)

David Leon Gil coruus at gmail.com
Thu Jul 10 09:29:47 PDT 2014

Michael: Agreed.

All these calculations raise an interesting point: What do we *mean*
when we say a "2^80 attacker".

If we're assuming an attacker who can, for each key exchange of
interest, do 2^80 hash evals, this is an attacker that *yearly* does a
huge amount of computation: Suppose that you need to perform the
computation in < 2^8 seconds. There are ~ 2^25 seconds per year, so
the attacker can do 2^97 hash-eval-equivalents per year.

Is this realistic?

Looking very quickly at Bitcoin (which I know fairly little about, so
take calculations with a grain of salt):

Right now log2(probability of solving a block) is ~ -66. The
difficulty is set so that blocks are found every 600 seconds. This
gives ~ 2^57 hashes per second, and thus 2^82 hashes per
year.[^bitops]

Does anyone have an estimate of the total cost of "mining" equipment
in use? (An upper bound for computational effort would then be
cost-per-hash * NSA's budget + Moore's law.)

(And does anyone know the comparable numbers for Litecoin, which uses
scrypt? Buying scrypt ASICs in bulk, the cost is $9 per chip. Each
chip does 2^20 scrypt[params=?] evals per second.)

[^bitops]: Btw, quick estimate is that SHA2-256 requires about 2^15
bitops, in the sense of djb's papers (if not optimized for partial
evaluation). So Bitcoin is doing perhaps 2^97 bitops per year. (This
makes 2^112 strength elliptic curves look rather dicey...)