[messaging] Mixmaster Protocol Design

Tom Ritter tom at ritter.vg
Tue Jul 15 12:27:04 PDT 2014

On 15 July 2014 14:19, Trevor Perrin <trevp at trevp.net> wrote:
> Side question, for you or anyone:  Is this really the
> "state-of-the-art" in real-world remailers?  Is no-one working on
> anything better?

Good lord no.  This is a hack to make Mixmaster still run with some
semblance of security.

IMO: 'State of the art' in deployed or close-to-deployed would be
Mixminion replaced with Sphinx as a packet format.  Pynchon Gate is
also state of the art in nymservers, but is undeveloped.

There's also an unpublicized twitter-based remailer system using
Sphinx I believe.  I can't recall which academic published it in the
last 2 years, but I swore it was a fairly well known person who had
put it on the back burner before developing it more...

-tom