[messaging] "Short" authentication strings

Michael Rogers michael at briarproject.org
Sun Jul 27 04:32:19 PDT 2014

Hi Tony,

I finally got a chance to watch your SOUPS video, and I wanted to ask
why you've chosen to stretch a low-entropy string rather than doing
things ZRTP-style: commit to ephemeral public keys, exchange ephemeral
public keys, derive short authentication string from the shared
secret. Is there something about the broadcast channel you're using
that would make that approach unsuitable?

Cheers,
Michael