[messaging] Namecoin

Tom Ritter tom at ritter.vg
Wed Aug 20 20:30:24 PDT 2014

Very similar is the EFF Sovereign Keys idea.  It basically aimed to be
a mix of Namecoin and CT, without the necessity of huge blockchains.
https://git.eff.org/?p=sovereign-keys.git;a=blob;f=sovereign-key-design.txt;hb=master

On 20 August 2014 21:39, Tony Arcieri <bascule at gmail.com> wrote:
> Key compromise is the biggest worry to me. If you lose a private key
> associated with a name, control of the name is irrevocably controlled to the
> attacker. Other systems like OpenPGP might answer this with revocation
> messages which are created at the same time as the key. I'm not sure if
> Namecoin has anything like that.

SK attempts to address this. Borrow from them, assume Namecoin, and
then add the ability to delegate, and say "If I publish a revocation
certificate with this key, only the following entities are allowed to
re-register a certificate for me: aclu.org, versign.com".

It also has notes about preventing DoS by someone registering for you
without you consent [0] and a few others.

-tom

[0] https://git.eff.org/?p=sovereign-keys.git;a=blob;f=issues/transitional-considerations.txt;h=fa3b1591820baf1f2f62740f1f0e8b7998c29174;hb=HEAD