[messaging] Google End-to-End plans on using key directories with a CT-like verification protocol

Moxie Marlinspike moxie at thoughtcrime.org
Thu Aug 28 12:11:11 PDT 2014

On 08/28/2014 11:51 AM, zaki at manian.org wrote:
> The purpose to CT is not to protect users from MITM attacks. The purpose
> of CT is protect the operators of key directories from coercion and the
> network from malicious/subverted key directory operators. CT will permit
> a response that complying with a lawful interception order will result
> in a significant loss of business for a directory operator. Keys will be
> non-repudiable and thus it will clear after an adverse event who
> facilitated the MITM attack.
>
> Specifically, Google and Yahoo are large commercial entities that want
> to operate an encrypted communication network without key escrow in a
> way acceptable to their lawyers. The current operators of large e2e
> networks(iMessage, BBM) use key escrow as part of their compliance
> regime with lawful interception orders.

Even in that context, I'd love to hear why you think "the simple thing"
doesn't accomplish the same goals.

> "Keys will be non-repudiable and thus it will clear after an adverse
event who facilitated the MITM attack."

I still don't understand how this is true.  All that "we" see is that a
key changed, which is a completely normal event and will be happening at
a rate which is probably difficult for "us" to even keep up with.  All
"we" really have is the word of the user that something in the log is
inappropriate.  I don't see any other real definitive "proof."

So what's the difference between CT and "the simple thing?"  In both
cases, all we have is the word of the user that something they claim to
be amiss is amiss.

> "CT will permit a response that complying with a lawful interception
order will result in a significant loss of business for a directory
operator."

It seems like, in the CT case, the provider is essentially saying "by
performing this MITM attack, the user *could* be one of the few that
notices, in which case we'd be in big trouble."

Isn't this just as true for "the simple thing?"  The provider can say
"listen, this user's client *could* alert them to a key change, in which
case we'd be in big trouble."

They seem to offer roughly the same "legal coercion" properties, but the
CT scheme is way more complex, doesn't offer realtime MITM protection,
has a spam problem, and will likely result in the provider being falsely
accused on a regular basis.  The false accusations might even weaken the
"legal coercion" case, if they're frequent enough.

- moxie

http://www.thoughtcrime.org