[messaging] The Trouble with Certificate Transparency

Emre Yuce e132740 at metu.edu.tr
Fri Sep 26 04:34:13 PDT 2014

> Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2014 12:32:11 +0100
> From: Ben Laurie <ben at links.org>
> To: Tao Effect <contact at taoeffect.com>
> Cc: messaging <messaging at moderncrypto.org>
> Subject: Re: [messaging] The Trouble with Certificate Transparency
>
> On 24 September 2014 22:15, Tao Effect <contact at taoeffect.com> wrote:
>> On Sep 24, 2014, at 12:55 PM, elijah <elijah at riseup.net> wrote:
>>
>> On 09/24/2014 11:08 AM, Tao Effect wrote:
>>
>> I've finally taken the time to explain via diagrams and many words how
>> undetected MITM attacks can happen with Certificate Transparency.
>>

>> It strikes me that you are not allowing for any distinction between a
>> MiTM attack that happens once, and a MiTM attack that is only successful
>> if it can be carried off from the moment a computer first contacts the
>> internet (and carried on forever if the attacker doesn't want to be
>> detected). What scenario do you have in mind where the latter is
>> possible?
>>

>> Well, I'm primarily focusing on MITM attacks that happen more than once,
>> and
>> are undetected, but not in the sense that you've presented it (MITM
>> attack
>> 24/7 from beginning of time).
>>
>> A 24/7 MITM attack from birth to death simply goes undetected in all
>> systems, and it's probably impossible to do anything about that.
>>
>> However, the issue with CT is as I pointed out several months ago back
>> in
>> May, that detection depends on successful gossip.
>>
>> Sure, it's possible, if the gossip succeeds, that proof of failure (not
>> misbehavior) has occurred. The problem here is:
>>
>> 1. Gossip could be blocked.
>
> Blocking our proposed mechanism == blocking all TLS. So, it could be,
> but it would be kind obvious...

@Ben: 2 questions:
- What happens if a client is allowed to talk to a just one specific log
server? I mean in the case that it tries other log servers and the
connection is blocked.

- Is it defined somewhere what happens when there is a contradiction in
the logs?

@Greg: Is a similar case valid for DNSchain when DNS queries are
blocked/manipulated or just a few pre-defined DNS servers are allowed to
be used?

Best wishes,
Emre