[messaging] Metadata free instant messaging protocol, with basic spam throttling

Jacob Appelbaum jacob at appelbaum.net
Thu Oct 2 02:41:51 PDT 2014

On 9/30/14, Moxie Marlinspike <moxie at thoughtcrime.org> wrote:

> Tor doesn't support UDP, so it can't be used for VoIP (at least the RTP
> phase of VoIP).  I'm mostly interested in tackling PMH at the
> application layer first, before dealing with the network layer.  If we
> can solve that, then we can plug something in on the network, whether
> it's Tor or something else.

This is often a problem with the VoIP protocol and composition with
the Tor network.

I regularly use a transparent Tor network to route Cryptophone (and
other types of) calls. The latency is not a problem and it protects my
location from the VoIP network and it protects me from obvious
targeted attacks against VoIP connections leaving my home internet
connection.

All the best,
Jacob