[messaging] The Simple Thing

Ben Laurie ben at links.org
Sat Oct 4 03:38:16 PDT 2014

On 3 October 2014 23:42, elijah <elijah at riseup.net> wrote:
>> CT-style (I think we should call it CT-style to avoid confusion with
>> Certificate Transparency proper for TLS certificates)
>
> I strongly prefer "auditable endorsements" since there are many
> proposals for auditable endorsement systems, only one of which uses a
> CT-style append-only log (for example, nyms, nicknym, DANE, DIME,
> hallam-baker's PPE, dkg/tom's UEE).
>
> The term CT-style seems like it should be reserved for the class of
> proposals that include some kind of append-only log used in a manner
> similar to CT. We may see multiple CT-style proposals in the future (one
> log per provider, one log per third party endorser, etc).

No argument with the distinction, but do "auditable endorsements" have
enough commonality that they can be usefully lumped together? I think
we mostly understand what is meant by "CT-like", but I don't really
feel like I have a grip on what properties a generalised "auditable
endorsement system" would have...