[messaging] Forward secrecy and multiple devices

Ximin Luo infinity0 at pwned.gg
Fri Oct 31 08:00:44 PDT 2014

I should clarify a bit - it's more directly to do with *storing* decryptable ciphertext (or plaintext, even) somewhere, and indirectly to do with multiple devices. If you log your 2-party OTR conversations, it kind of defeats the point of forward secrecy too - the adversary might not be able to decrypt the ciphertext, but if they can compromise your long term key they can probably just compromise your logs. Again, this risk is dependent on your own preference; storing data *is* convenient and useful.

With multiple devices, you can do forward secrecy if you know in advance which devices you want to encrypt to - then this is just the mpOTR group chat problem. (The "maximum you can achieve" I mentioned in the last post.) Then you hope no-one else logs - if any single person logs, then it screws the forward secrecy for everyone else. So it's harder and less reliable, but not impossible.

But if you want a scheme where any device that you might want to connect to your account (in the future) can decrypt old history, then I don't think you can get true forward secrecy, since this would likely involve storing the history somewhere with a key that doesn't get destroyed. There's no impossibility result that I know of, but no "breakthrough" yet either..