[messaging] How secure is TextSecure?

Nadim Kobeissi nadim at nadim.computer
Sat Nov 1 15:02:29 PDT 2014

------ Original Message ------
From: "David Leon Gil" <coruus at gmail.com>
To: "messaging at moderncrypto.org" <messaging at moderncrypto.org>
Sent: 2014-11-01 12:56:42 AM
Subject: [messaging] How secure is TextSecure?

>A new paper by Frosch et al. here: http://eprint.iacr.org/2014/904
>
>--
>
>They present an unknown key-share attack on TextSecure; this is rather
>serious, to say the least.
I disagree that this is a serious attack. When I read the paper, I was
surprised that this was even considered a TextSecure-specific attack to
begin with. I'm sure someone else could write a paper ascribing this
attack to half the in-production public-key cryptography systems on the
Internet.

It's a cool paper though, good on TextSecure for surviving the scrutiny.
Also, Cryptocat got a mention, that was nice to see. :-)

NK