[messaging] EFF Secure Messaging Scorecard

Ximin Luo infinity0 at pwned.gg
Tue Nov 4 09:03:44 PST 2014

On 04/11/14 16:43, Joseph Bonneau wrote:
> First version launched today: https://www.eff.org/secure-messaging-scorecard
>
> This was a collaboration between tech advisers (primarily Peter Eckersley and myself) and a good team of people with experience in journalism and activism and there were necessarily some compromises made. The primary goals here were:
>
> (a) simplicity for users (and journalists) to draw some conclusions about what's out there right now and we had to make a lot of compromises to keep things simple for end-users to understand.
>
> (b) reasonable carrots for some of the traditional messaging apps to add security features, get audits, and publish source code.
>
> Hopefully we will be launching a more detailed version next year with many more evaluation criteria but would be curious to hear feedback on this version from other folks working in this space.

Nice!

- What determines "Featured"? It took me a while to find ChatSecure. Probably, the sort of person reading this is more interested to know "what's the most secure".
- Allow filtering by platform. Perhaps this could even replace "Featured".
- Make it more visually obvious that the columns are sortable. I only found this out by accident. I thought clicking on the columns would take me to the "explanation".
- Would be good if the "sort" clicking sorted "Secure" by default. At the moment it sorts "Insecure" - i.e. you have to click twice to get the secure ones at the top.
- Would be good if it preserved the relative ordering of previous sorts. Then I can click once on all the columns to "sort by most secure", going by the columns that I prioritise the most.

P.S. In the time it took me to read this, I see that dkg has also suggested ChatSecure should be in "Featured". :)

--
GPG: 4096R/1318EFAC5FBBDBCE
git://github.com/infinity0/pubkeys.git