[messaging] EFF Secure Messaging Scorecard

Tao Effect contact at taoeffect.com
Thu Nov 6 08:48:43 PST 2014

On Nov 6, 2014, at 8:39 AM, Tyler Manson <tyler at hack.ink> wrote:

> Okay, I'm confused. I've been following the back-and-forth on twitter
> here: https://twitter.com/ncardozo/status/530392765771698176

Odd, when I click that link, twitter does not show me my replies, only Nate's replies to me.

If I click this link (the start of the thread), however, it does show me everyone's replies:

https://twitter.com/taoeffect/status/530389395463888897

> Seems pretty End to End to me....

It is not end-to-end. If you've been following the twitter, you should have seen the explanation as well:

@taoeffect: I read the iMessages section from the 2014 paper. It is no different than is described: http://blog.quarkslab.com/imessage-privacy.html

@taoeffect: This remains true: "Apple can decrypt your data, if they want, or more probably if they are ordered to."

@taoeffect: Quarkslab feels in spite of that it is still “end-to-end”. W/e, I have a different definition of “end-to-end”.

@taoeffect: Apple’s claim on their website are FALSE. They *can* decrypt iMessages if forced.

@taoeffect: For me, “end-to-end” means Apple is incapable of decrypting messages. They are capable, so it’s not e2e.

@dangoodin001: That's precisely my definition of e2e, too!

Then there's the 2nd stake through Apple's claims where by default they appear to have access to plain text of this history of your chats (as has been linked to multiple times now in this thread):

http://arstechnica.com/security/2013/06/can-apple-read-your-imessages-ars-deciphers-end-to-end-crypto-claims/

Kind regards,
Greg Slepak