[messaging] WhatsApp & OWS team up

Mike Hearn mike at plan99.net
Wed Nov 19 02:48:23 PST 2014

> Presumably Apple has already been in this position for over a year with
> iMessage, although it might be more interesting because WhatsApp doesn't
> have the political clout

WhatsApp is politically a lot more complicated because iMessage is not all
that popular outside the USA but WhatsApp is. So the countries with the
most incentive to access WhatsApp can't get to it. The primary reason is
WhatsApp is cross platform. In many countries market share of the iPhone
has collapsed e.g. large parts of Europe (Spain, Germany, Italy, France)
and Latin America.

China/Korea/Japan use other stuff. I believe WhatsApp is dominant elsewhere
e.g. middle east. For example I read a scare story the other day about how
ISIS commanders use WhatsApp.