[messaging] Second thoughts on WhatsApp encryption

Mike Hearn mike at plan99.net
Fri Nov 28 07:09:50 PST 2014

> Given how much positive press WhatsApp got last week, you'd think Kik
> would have wanted to quickly say "we've already had that for a while."

Unless they aren't actually encrypting. They also make the puzzling claim
that IP address data is held by a third party.

Now I'm curious what they're doing. It almost sounds like they outsourced
the actual message routing part of their system to some other company, and
this is why they claim Kik doesn't have access to message data, rather than
due to e2e crypto.