[messaging] Value of deniability

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Wed Dec 10 11:19:40 PST 2014

Hi Mike--

On 12/10/2014 01:56 PM, Mike Hearn wrote:
> I would like to hear opinions on the value of deniability in OTR like
> protocols.

it's not clear to me that cryptographic deniability has much legal
utility.  I wrote about this in more detail last year here:

https://www.debian-administration.org/users/dkg/weblog/104

people get convicted or cleared of things all the time based on digital
evidence that has no cryptographic proof associated with it.
cryptographic deniability doesn't mean that you can cryptographically
prove a message *wasn't* from you; just that your peer can't
cryptographically prove that a message *was* from you.

	--dkg